It’s time to face facts. Cameron Crowe is solely to blame for Stevie Johnson’s actions on Sunday.
I know, I know. You’re thinking: “How can a homely looking guy like Cameron Crowe……be to blame for every outrageous, over-the-top TD celebration that the world has witnessed since 1996?” But, it is true. He made Rod Tidwell’s TD celebration in Jerry Maguire so incredible, that to this day it remains an unattainable goal that all NFL Wide Receivers can only aspire to. Watch:
Since 1996 we’ve seen:
- Terrell Owens pull a sharpie out of his sock, sign the football and give it to a fan
- Joe Horn pull a cell phone out of the field goal post padding and make a faux phone call
- Terrell Owens triumphantly stand in the center of “The Star” in Cowboys Stadium as a member of the 49ers TWICE in the same game
- Randy Moss moon the crowd
- Chad Johnson propose to a cheerleader and do a bunch of other stupid stuff
So to pretend to shoot yourself, as one of your peers did, and then turn yourself into a Jet that crashes to the ground, just seems like a natural evolution of things.
And even though Bob Costas was mighty cranky about the escalation of TD celebrations, the Monday Night Football crew at the time liked Tidwell’s deplorable and selfish antics just fine. Frank Gifford says he doesn’t even care if Rod gets flagged–AND Gifford is over 100 years old!
So until Stevie Johnson or anyone else can pull off a step-for-step re-creation of Rod Tidwell’s celebration, INCLUDING pretending to be knocked out for AT LEAST 2 minutes prior… I don’t want to hear about it.
IN ROD WE TRUST!
Disclaimer: This article was written by someone who owns a replica #85 Rod Tidwell Jersey